Yum

Friday 19 September 2014

Eye Opener Smoothie

Smoothies make my mornings (on the days that I can be bothered to do more than cereal + milk).  But I find that they do take more time to consume than cereal, and I want a coffee as well.  So I've been searching for a way to combine smoothies and coffee without it tasting horrible.  To date I have been entirely unsuccessful.  Hint: if it has berries, it should NOT...I repeat NOT...have coffee added. Bleurgh.

This one was different, however.  This morning I finally found a combination that worked, and it worked because it was simple.  Now that I've found a viable method, I'll add a few options over time to enjoy tasty simple mornings.  In my opinion, this smoothie works best with brewed coffee.  I used cold drip coffee (watch this space for a post about this), but if I didn't then I would brew slightly more coffee the morning before and store some extra in the fridge in a sealed container or in a cup covered with clingwrap.

Below is a simple tasty recipe for a coffee, banana and coconut eye opener smoothie.

Ingredients

Serves 2
  • 2 bananas
  • 10 ice cubes
  • 1/3 cup pre-brewed coffee, or instant coffee mixed with water
  • 10 ice cubes
  • 1 heaped tbs diced coconut 
  • Milk or coconut milk (enough to cover the ice)

Method

  1. Add all ingredients to your blender.
  2. Blitz!
  3. Serve in two cups

My Take Aways

This was a very different flavour to most smoothies, and certainly had enough caffeine to wake us both up for work.  We will make this again on lazy mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment