Yum

Sunday 5 October 2014

Coleslaw with Mustard Sour Cream

Coleslaw makes me happy. Shame most of the store bought ones are so bad for you.  I wanted to make a healthy one to go with Chipotle BBQ Pulled Pork.  I remembered using a mustard and sour cream sauce with a pork fillet and coleslaw years ago and when I read about the South Carolina tradition of using mustard sauce with pulled pork, I knew I had to try the combination.  This coleslaw is served drizzled with the sauce, rather than having mountains of sauce/mayo stirred through it, as I have seen most coleslaws do.  This lets you control just how much sauciness you want, and I think makes it a little different.  I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Ingredients

For the Coleslaw
  • 1/2 red cabbage
  • 2 carrots
  • 3 shallots
  • 90g can of corn, drained
For the Sauce
  • 250g tub of low fat sour cream (I used the weight watchers one)
  • 3 tbs wholegrain mustard
  • 1 tsp chicken stock powder
  • 1 tsp hot water

Method

  1. Chop all of your coleslaw ingredients finely (excepting the corn of course). Mix.
  2. Combine the sauce ingredients and stir.

  3. Serve coleslaw drizzled with sauce.
Simple. Done.

My Take Aways

Yum.  This took almost no time, made heaps and is very versatile.  The sauce would also work over a pork chop or chicken breast.  It is something a little different and I'm very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment