Yum

Monday 20 October 2014

Easy Thai Green Curry


Who doesn't love it?  Green curry was my introduction to the beauty and balance that is Thai food.  Its creamy, spicy perfection on a plate. For years it was my go to order at Thai restaurants but over time I've diversified.  Tonight I wanted to make a quick and simple version for a bit of comfort given that my back pain has been playing up this week (silly thing - I'm way too young for back problems - right?).  There was very little prep and the outcome was great.  I was aiming for a purely green and white theme visually.  Texturally I wanted a mix of soft, semi soft and crunchy.  I think that this recipe ticked all the boxes.


Ingredients

Serves 4 - 6, depending on your portion size
  • 2 large chicken breasts, diced (my two were pretty big - approx 800g)
  • 2 bok choy - sliced thinly on the diagonal (both the stem and the leaves, chucking out the very base of the stem)
  • 3 green chillies - chopped thinly on the diagonal
  • 3 shallots, sliced thinkly on the diagonal
  • 3 tbs Thai Green Curry paste
  • 270ml coconut milk (light or full fat, whatever your preference)
  • 3 cups (uncooked) Basmati or Jasmine rice


Potential Spins

Of course you could fancy this up and play with the perfect flavour balances by adding fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar.  I was trying to minimise calorie consumption while retaining the flavour, which I think we achieved.  In the past I've used snow peas and green capsicum instead of bok choy.  I like that bok choy has both crunchy and dark green leafy components in one so it is my favourite ingredient in stir fries of late.  It proved itself in green curry as well!  


Method

  1. Cook your rice
  2. Add green curry paste to and half of the chillies and half of the shallots, cook until fragrant.
  3. Brown chicken in a frypan
  4. Add bok choy and coconut milk, stir through.  Simmer with the lid on for approximately 5 minutes.  Take a minute to enjoy the aroma when you take the lid off - it is a slice of heaven.
  5. Serve topped with the remaining green chillies and shallots for a bit of crunch.


My Take Aways

This meal ticked all of the boxes I was after.  It was so easy to put together, and it lasted three nights for the two of us.  I was surprised that the bok choy remained crunchy even on the third night!  I will always love green curry so this is my new simple go-to version.

No comments:

Post a Comment