Yum

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Lamb and Tabbouleh Wraps


 
It has been some time since I posted here!  The Dragon and I were married two weeks ago (squee!) and leading up to the wedding I simply ran out of time and energy to experiment with food.  Our dinners became largely piece of meat with side salad.  It was pretty healthy, but I have missed experimenting and coming up with our own recipes, drinking wine and listening to music while taking our time and connecting in the kitchen.  It is always such fun.

Now that we are back from our relaxing and beautiful honeymoon I am starting to get a little of my old energy back.  I'm not quite there yet but I'm on my way.

This is a transitional post - using some old familiar flavours for a simple and yummy lunch at home, using herbs from our garden.  After making it I had wished that I'd used lamb mince rather than lamb steaks, as the pieces of steak (while delicious) weren't as easy to eat in the wrap as mince would have been. I plan to bump up to creating deliciousness again over the next couple of weeks.  This meal served two for two lunches, but would have served us for 3 lunches if we had used mince rather than lamb steaks.


Ingredients

  • Four multigrain wraps
  • Lamb - I'd recommend using 500g lamb mince as opposed to the diced lamb steak that you will see pictured.
  • 1 tbs baharat (I use this recipe to make a big batch periodically and find it useful in so many things.  The flavour is gorgeous and worth the time with the mortar and pestle/blender/blitzer if you don't have one - don't be afraid!)
  • 1 tbs water
  • 1 tbs natural yoghurt
  • Quinoa tabouleh
  • 2 additional tbs natural yogurt
  • Lemon rind
  • Mint leaves

Potential Spins

Swap the lamb for chicken if you like, but I personally love the combination of lamb, baharat and tabbouleh.  You could use any other spice mix instead of baharat - I was considering karahi with chicken as opposed to this recipe when deciding what to make for lunch, because it would work well.  A Greek Yiros spice mix could also work well.  Of course you can purchase tabouleh rather than making it yourself, but I happen to think our quinoa tabouleh is the best darn tabouleh I have ever tasted (until proven otherwise) so I love to make it regularly.

Method

  1. In a medium frypan, fry the spice mix until fragrant.
     Add water and mix to create a paste.  
    Stir in 1 tbs of yoghurt to make a marinade.  Add to the lamb, mix, cover with gladwrap and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
     We ended up having some marinated for 48 hours (as we cooked the meat fresh for each meal), so I'm not a sucker for marination time rules.  Generally longer is better.
  2. Mix yoghurt, lemon rind and mint in a small container.
  3. RESTRAIN YOURSELF from eating the yoghurt sauce.  This is the most challenging step of the process.
  4. While the meat marinates, make the tabouleh using my recipe, or just use store bought stuff if pressed for time.
  5. Layer tabbouleh, then meat, then yogurt sauce onto a wrap.
  6. Savour the deliciousness.

Our Take Aways

Yum. Yumyumyumyum in our tums.  This is a seriously winning flavour combination.  The touch of lemon in the sauce, the mint, the herbs, the baharat, the lamb..........can I please have some more?

I'm really happy to be back in the kitchen, energised and cooking healthy and tasty food.  Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment